Get context sensitive notes, alerts and supporting documents
throughout your Sage 300.
Increase productivity, foster collaboration and save paper with Orchid Notes and Document Management Link.
Orchid Document Management Link (DML) lets you link multiple external files and documents to Sage 300 fields so you can access them from within Sage, precisely where and when you need them.
- A link to an A/P Invoice can be created at the time of A/P Invoice Entry and will also be visible from the A/P Vendor Activity and A/P Payment Entry screens.
- A link to a delivery document can be created at the time of O/E Order Entry and will also be visible from the O/E Shipment Entry and O/E Invoice Entry screens.
Some popular Document Links:
- Purchase orders & invoices
- Product specifications
- Contracts, tenders & legal documents
- Dispatch & shipping advices, bills of lading & air waybills
- Collection & delivery documents, customs, quarantine and inspection documents
- Employee expense claims
Benefits of DML include:
- Improved customer service – essential documents are easily retrieved
- Improved productivity – supporting documents are always readily available without searching
- Improved multi-site operations – no need to distribute hard copies of supporting documents when they are always accessible via Sage 300
- Reduced costs – save on storage, copying, printing and staff time
- Enhances your existing scanning and document capture systems
Watch: Document Management Link Demonstration
duration: 12 minutes
How Document Management Link for Sage 300 Works
Configuration & Customization
Flexible configuration options allow you to nominate where documents are stored, and how and when they are displayed:
- Specify which Sage 300 field labels you wish to link documents to
- Nominate the folders where linked documents are to be stored
- Optionally specify which screens will trigger the display of linked documents
- Optionally configure filters to restrict which files to display
- Set up rules for renaming of files when added by drag & drop from Sage 300.
Adding & Viewing Documents
- When the user opens a Sage 300 screen, if any documents have been linked to field values on that screen an Alert Box opens to reveal them. The user can then open listed documents, or add new ones.
- New documents can be “dragged and dropped” directly into the DML Alert Box from within Sage 300. This will deposit them into the designated folder, and optionally trigger an automatic rename.
- Alternatively, new documents can be saved directly into the nominated storage location from outside Sage 300, making them available for display in the DML Alert Box.
Document Storage & Sharing Options
Linked documents can reside in an accessible file server folder, or within Microsoft SharePoint.
- By nominating a file server folder that has been mapped to a cloud-based file sharing service (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive) you can take advantage of the synchronization and sharing capabilities those services offer.
- If you use SharePoint you can benefit from its collaboration and security features, and initiate workflows for document notification and approval.
- When used with Microsoft SharePoint, standard workflows can be triggered for approval, multi user approval, or feedback, or you can create custom workflows. Adding a document initiates any workflow that has been set up in SharePoint.
Combined with Document Management Link, Notes provides
a powerful platform for further customization of Sage 300.
Attach context and data sensitive electronic notes to Sage 300 fields or screens with Orchid Notes
Notes for Sage 300 increases productivity and streamlines transaction processing by telling your users what they need to know, where and when they need to know it. Notes attaches context and data sensitive electronic “sticky notes” to your accounting workflow:
- Link Notes to practically any Sage 300 data, such as specific users, customers, items, batches or transactions
- Notes can appear every time the linked data is displayed, or they can be restricted to specific screens
- Use plain text, rich text, hyperlinks and even small images
When combined with Orchid Document Management Link, Notes provides a powerful platform for further customization of Sage 300.
Sample Ways You Can Use Notes:
- Set up procedural guides for data entry
- Add customer-specific notes like “No Deliveries After 3 PM” during Order Entry
- Add item-specific notes during Purchase Order entry such as “Model 123 is being replaced by Model 456”
- Dual-key Notes such as “Customer X has special labeling requirements for shipments of Item Y”
- Notes by both account and date to support GL Budget entry
- Configure Extender to create a Note alerting users that a customer has been placed on hold
Watch: Notes for Sage 300 Overview
duration: 4 minutes
Watch: Notes for Sage 300 Demonstration
duration: 7 minutes
How Notes for Sage 300 Works
Configuration & Customization
You control not just what is displayed, but also where, how and to whom:
- Specify which Sage 300 field labels will trigger the display of Notes
- Optionally specify which screens will trigger the display of Notes
- Set display characteristics (e.g. Alert Box, auto pop-up, flashing tray icon)
- Set up role-based rules to target messages to the right people, and control who can add, edit, or delete Notes
Using Notes With Extender
Notes and Orchid Extender are perfect companions. Extender Scripts offer almost limitless customization opportunities to retrieve data on the fly, generate conditional notes and even to display data from other systems. For example, you can:
- Configure Extender to create a Note when a data-related event occurs
- Configure Notes to trigger the execution of an Extender Script, the result of which will be displayed in the Notes Alert Box (Extended Notes)
Adding, Editing & Viewing Notes
When a user opens a Sage 300 screen or transaction record, any existing Notes relevant to their role that have been linked to fields on that screen or to the screen itself will appear in the Alert Box. Edit and/or New buttons are presented in the Alert Box, subject to any role-based restrictions that have been configured, allowing users to maintain Notes without leaving the Sage 300 screen.
If Notes have been configured for a screen but none currently exist, a blank Note icon will be displayed on the screen’s menu bar, and can be clicked to initiate entry of a new Note. Alternatively, a pop-up window can automatically prompt for entry of a new Note.
About Caron Business Solutions
We focus on helping companies achieve the next level of performance through deployment of the right-fit solutions from Sage. Our services include needs assessment, solution design, user training, go-live assistance and support. We have offices in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland and Lima, Peru.